Friday, June 11, 2010

Its getting close now

Today I watched it rain. Again. The rain's been seeping into the collective soul of Missoula I think....making everything about living here rather damp. I cant help but want to leave now. Hear the quite that comes with the twist of the throttle. Feel my body change as I brace it against the wind, and focus on the job of riding. For anyone that hasn't done long distance riding, this is the best way I can describe it. You must remain focused, and yet relaxed enough to survive the hours of punishment that you are subjected too. Its much like life I guess. "Keep your eye on the ball kido!" WHACK or Whiff. Choices get simple.....ride or crash.
It is terrifying and thrilling at the same time. You can disappear into that one act. All the world washes away and you are a rider. Going harder and further than you should. I guess that's the draw for me. Doing what I shouldn't do, and having no choice but to push forward.
I have decided I am going to win it, and with that decision, there is no choice.
I am going to dream about it a little tonight I think. If you're gonna give your heart to something, best it be something you can smile at. Makes it so much more pleasant don't you think?
The race is starting to cast its long shadow now. I can feel the excitement of the riders....and I can hear their hearts longing for it. Soon its a good day to ride.

No comments: